Saturday, April 30, 2011

ANTS!

When I was about 8 years old, I would spend a lot of time playing outside.  We had a long driveway (to an 8 year old) and I would make believe I was a movie star, and make my own "star" on the "sidewalk" of my little area I pretended to be "Hollywood."   But to do this, I had to move a lot of ant houses.  I would destroy their little hills, and write in the dirt the famous names of other movie stars along side my own little spot.  My older sister came along and told me that if I keep destroying the ants homes like that, someday they will come along and carry my house away.

Well, its happening.



For the past 3 years, we have battled ants each spring and summer-I usually just sit a bowl of water out, and pick them up and drown them (No animal rights activists may contact me).

This year I decided I would try some of the store bought traps.  So I picked out one that says the ants go in the little container, and eat some of the stuff and then take it back to the queen ant and she eats it and the whole colony is destroyed.  Sounds great!
I bought a pack of 4 that should have lasted me just fine!

We are getting them coming in side in 2 places, so I set up 2 of them, leaving 2 for later.  I got a plan!

Well, the ants did not crawl into them.  It was difficult for me to not kill the ants by drowning, no-  I had to allow them to live so they can take the stuff back to the queen.  Well, they would not go into these things, so now I found myself standing at the area of the counter where they were always coming in (right by my husbands coffee pot-they seem to like the coffee) and pick them up and stuff them into this thing.  So now I would spend 10 minutes a few times a day collecting ants alive, to stuff them into this thing.

This was not working.



I am going back to the method of drowning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment